Re: [OM] Presidents Day, USA

Subject: Re: [OM] Presidents Day, USA
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:42:03 -0500 (EST)
I'm less sure about the use of the possessive. The motivation for this holiday
is one that I suspect many Europeans will find difficult to understand. There
were once several holidays that honored a single president, all of which gave
some workers a day off. As these things go, the more there were, the more were
desired.. It looked like we would soon have forty or fifty presidents days, all
of which meant days off for some workers. Employers didn't like this, because
it did nothing for production. So all the commerative days were lumped into
one. So it could go either way.