Re: [OM] First installment from Bhutan

Subject: Re: [OM] First installment from Bhutan
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 22:22:43 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<<Reads like a slightly spiffed up North Korea for its travel restrictions

Bhutan is not quite Shangri-La, but much closer to that than North Korea.  We
wandered around towns with or w/o our guides who made every attempt to ensure
we could experience what we wanted and had any photo  gear we even remotely
wanted close at hand.  Many had photographic training and Zanglay has taken
many birders on photo trips--he offered to scramble up this 50 yd hill with my
cam to try and get a nice image of a bird we had spotted as he was much faster.
 I bristled at the way trips must be organized at first but this is a mechanism
to  control the influence of western tourism
to a reasonable level for them as they attempt to modernize and preserve their
national character. The guides with their sense  of humor, enthusiasm, and
helpfulness were a positive memorable feature of the trip.

Not sure many North Korean minders will carry your 'pod and keep an eye out for
interesting perspectives for shots, Mike