Re: [OM] Technology Survey

Subject: Re: [OM] Technology Survey
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 19:41:21 +0100
IIRC I joined the computer club at school in the first year of high school which would make it 1972 when I first used an acoustic coupler within a wooden box that had a broken clip (any coughs played havoc with the connection) to connect a teletype (no screen) to a pdp11 - the first internet access was with cix (compulink) also around 86, however as an apprentice in '81 I worked with 300/75 baud modems which were definitely not portable, the tester was a beast of a kit in a large heavy wooden box.

BTW I recently watch a show about BT (Post Office) in the UK where they were looking at phones and the subject of why 999 was chosen came up - the BT expert/presenter said that probably no one knew why that was chosen, well I remember being told as an apprentice that it could not be no 1 as that might not be picked up correctly in the exchange (strowger) and that 9 was the easiet number to locate in the dark/smoke on a dial phone - just feel for the finger gaurd and go up a bit around the dial until the first hole- of course once you have got that sorted, repeating the number is easier than switching to another hence 999

been a bit quiet of late photography wise - got made redundant as of next May and then rehired and promoted (verbally agreed but I am waiting to see contract) - its a funny old world we live in.

IanW