Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US

Subject: Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 16:07:27 -0500
I had planned on it since I saw that the path went right over the town I
grew up in. But then we decided to celebrate our 30th anniversary this past
week in Vegas, and I have to work today... so, I just wasn't in the mood to
drive 7 hours. Plus, I had a free place to stay when my dad was still
alive, and now it would include the cost of a hotel. Also, my current car
is a lease, and the round-trip would put me dangerously close to my mileage
limit for the year.

If I still had friends in my town and a house to sleep in, I might risk the
13-14-hour round trip for 2:40 worth of eclipse.. but with my luck, it
would rain or be overcast.

Several years ago we planned a trip to Orlando to watch the final Hubble
repair mission launch. Friend of ours was on the Hubble team and put us on
the guest list. Booked a flight and hotel. Four days before we were
scheduled to fly, NASA scrubbed the launch and moved it out two weeks. So,
we went to Orlando and didn't see a launch.

I kinda envision a trip to Southern Illinois to see the eclipse going down
the same way.

The 2024 eclipse is supposed to pass much further North, so I can stay with
friends in Indy to see that one.

I'll be happy with online coverage and as much as I can see from our
building in Chicago.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>      How many OM Listers will be able to take in the total solar eclipse in
> a week?  My wife will be visiting her sister near Nashville, TN, and will
> see totality of two minutes and forty seconds.  I plan on being somewhere
> on the sagebrush flats of Wyoming not too far from Casper--I'll get two
> minutes and thirty seconds of totality.  Should be a thrilling 2:30,
> indeed!
>      Any camera suggestions?  I'll have my Canon 1014 XLS Super 8 movie
> camera on a tripod, and I plan on setting the exposure manually for
> whatever it should be for full daylight and then have the camera do its
> magic single frame per second (or five, or ten, or whatever seconds) and
> get a two plus hour record of the darkening and then lightening of the
> Wyoming landscape compressed into a couple minutes of filming.  Gotta do
> the math, here, Deano.  I'm thinking of pointing the camera to the south,
> with a fairly wide angle setting, and record what happens on the
> landscape.  I'll leave a time-lapse of the moon's actual crossing of the
> sun to the pros.
>      So when totality comes, what then?  My 60-300 Tammy at 300 on the OM
> 4T and pointed right at the sun?  Any ND filter?  Or just say screw it and
> simply stand back and be awed by something I'll never see again?
>      Whatcha going to be doing next Monday, folks?
> Digest Dean
> --

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Anchor, Amateur Radio Newsline
www.ARnewsline.org <http://www.arnewsline.org>
Certified Music Junkie

"The Fountain of Youth is a state of mind" -- The Ides of March, "Age
Before Beauty"