Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Scene

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Scene
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 16:05:50 -0700
On 8/4/2017 12:43 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Thanks, Moose.  Please see my questions below.

On 8/4/2017 1:58 PM, Moose wrote:
(Blown red channel alert.)
1.  How did you detect a blown red channel?  I thought I was being careful.

It's a 'look', that I see. Lots of areas that have no obvious detail in them, an overall lack of aliveness (?), odd looking color . . . Then I look at the histogram, and confirm lots of pixels stacked up against the right end.

Some illustrations:
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Small_Insects.htm>

The first two examples are extreme processing to make it easier to see the areas that are all one color, and thus show no detail.

This one is not really all that bad. As a result, there's a fair amount of tonal/textural detail squished up at the top that our eyes (and perhaps display devices) can't differentiate. That's great, because it means I can show what's missing in the original (well, most of it).

Notice the wider range of subtle colors in the petals. Lots more subtle detail, too. Look at the vein the really small insect, lower right, is sitting on and those alongside it, for example. The whole thing just looks more natural to me.

I'm not suggesting that you should learn how to do this recovery processing, involving several steps and masks in PS. I am suggesting that, if you watch the histogram while doing your own editing, you should be able to avoid the problem in the first place. Whatever you are using for conversion and processing, it should be showing the histogram at all times you are working.

Then I lightened it up, which made it go more yellow, too. This looks even more natural to me, but I may be biased by the very similar coreopsis flowers in our garden, which lean far more yellow than your shot.

Good focal plane, BTW, with the key parts in focus, and less softness front than back. I'd prefer a little more DoF, myself. At ISO 200 and 1/1000 sec., you had a little room to stop down another stop. Could be, with a manual lens, focusing wide open, then stopping down for the shot, that it would be trickier.

On my way back to my yard, I spotted this sweet smelling nuisance. It will have
to serve as my Friday Flower.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170804-DSCF3964.JPG.html

Not a nuisance here. Climate difference, I suppose. I had one in back here, that eventually died. I have good memories of a big one on the fence where I went to kindergarten, plucking and sucking on the flowers for the little burst of sweetness.
2.    The nuisance part comes from trying to keep my fence line even somewhat
neat! :-[

Ah, a matter of taste. :-)

Yellow C. Moose