Re: [OM] Science and Speculation [was "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico"

Subject: Re: [OM] Science and Speculation [was "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" @ AGO in Toronto]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 09:04:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     You needn't look very hard for evidence.  The Arctic ice cap, Greenland,
the Antarctic, and glaciers in Chile, there is more than ample evidence that
things are getting significantly warmer.

     We are also in the very beginning of a Solar Grand Minimum, similar to
what was observed at the end of the Little Ice Age (LIA).  But, we will not be
having another LIA.  The LIA began in the early 12th century by a long period
of volcanic activity which brought an end to the Medieval Warm Period (MWP).
Global temperature leveled off, and then there was the tremendous Samalas
volcanic explosion of 1257 which started the decline of global temperatures.
That one was ten times the size of Krakatoa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1257_Samalas_eruption

     We haven't had anywhere near sufficient volcanic activity to usher in
another LIA.  The Mauder grand minimum at the end of the LIA was pretty much
just a coincidence, and this latest grand minimum (Landsheidt) will be with us
until around 2060.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson