[OM] OT: BE AFRAID!

Subject: [OM] OT: BE AFRAID!
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:49:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I went to the coffee shop this morning with just the new Win7 machine, and
shortly after I started it my usage came to a screaching halt.  The hard drive
was spinning wildly and the task manager showed that SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS was
increasing into the mid-90s and better.

     I quickly started a boot sector virus scan, and when it was done I did a
full spyware scan.  The problem persisted.

     Then I noticed something peculiar, and remembered that when I was updating
Firefox there was a little message about something called YANDEX.RU.  I tried
to find out what that was with no rsults, so I deleted it manually.  Then I
hadn almost no usage.

     I learned that Microsoft has a utility called "Process Explorer" that lets
you identify what is triggering the system idle process.  I had to come home
and download it on dialup.  While my trusty WinXP machine was doing that, I
cleaned any mention of yandex from the registry, and there were lots of them.
Then I cleared out everything on the C:/ drive, but could not delete a pair of
icon graphics, both around 6.5K.  I'm now trying to delete them in SAFE MODE.

     So, you may want to check your machines for anything related to YANDEX and
delete it.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson