Re: [OM] OT: BE AFRAID!

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: BE AFRAID!
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 11:05:20 +1100
Possible mutation of SPANDEX ?

...Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus
[mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
] On Behalf Of Chris Trask
Sent: Wednesday, 15 March 2017 5:49 AM
To: Olympus Discussion Group <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] OT: BE AFRAID!

     I went to the coffee shop this morning with just the new Win7 machine,
and shortly after I started it my usage came to a screaching halt.  The hard
drive was spinning wildly and the task manager showed that SYSTEM IDLE
PROCESS was increasing into the mid-90s and better.

     I quickly started a boot sector virus scan, and when it was done I did
a full spyware scan.  The problem persisted.

     Then I noticed something peculiar, and remembered that when I was
updating Firefox there was a little message about something called
YANDEX.RU.  I tried to find out what that was with no rsults, so I deleted
it manually.  Then I hadn almost no usage.

     I learned that Microsoft has a utility called "Process Explorer" that
lets you identify what is triggering the system idle process.  I had to come
home and download it on dialup.  While my trusty WinXP machine was doing
that, I cleaned any mention of yandex from the registry, and there were lots
of them.  Then I cleared out everything on the C:/ drive, but could not
delete a pair of icon graphics, both around 6.5K.  I'm now trying to delete
them in SAFE MODE.

     So, you may want to check your machines for anything related to YANDEX
and delete it.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson