Re: [OM] sturdy light weight camera tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] sturdy light weight camera tripods
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 15:42:38 -0500
I'm with you, Chris. Actually, I got that

308 on an early Slik tripod for about $20.

BTW - That clamp takes a nice, solid
 8"(?) hex extension.

On Mar 5, 2017 3:24 PM, "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

     Boy, do I feel dumb!  I got out my tripod bag and discovered that I
already have one.  I've used it to attach my adjustable boom to the tripod
column or legs for photographing belly flowers.  It has been a long time
since I did anything like that.  THis is promising to be a good year for
wildflowers, so I need to dust this stuff off.

     I would love to have a Manfrotto 804 head, but they're a bit too
expensive.  Instead I use a Velbon PH-250B, which is almost as good but you
rarely find them on evilBay.  I found mine in a thrift store.  It's roughly
equivalent to a PHD-65 but without the quick release.

>     It's a model 035.  Clamps that I have used in the past were only good
for mounting to flat objects, like chair backs, fence rails, car windows,
etc.  This one, though, looks like it would also mount securely to things
like tree branches, pack frames, and other round objects.