Re: [OM] IMG: One-Man Roofing Crew

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: One-Man Roofing Crew
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 08:40:21 -0600
That's an interesting product.  Thanks for the info.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 3/5/2017 4:49 AM, Moose wrote:
On 3/3/2017 5:15 AM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
I'll butt in here and say that the milking barn (goats) that I built, back
in the day, had the metal roofing right over the stringers.
And was noisy as hell in a storm. But, I would think in a rehab, applied
over an existing roof, you wouldn't notice.

I had quite a different kind of metal roof installed 25 years ago, Corona Shake pressed metal tiles. <http://gerardroofs.co.nz/product/2/gerard-corona>

Installation details. <http://lifetimesolutionstt.com/pdfs/shakespec.pdf>

I chose it in part because it is so light that it could be installed over the existing two layers of asphalt shingle, even on my very light roof structure. But when the contractor applied for a permit, it was turned down. In the wake of the previous year's disastrous nearby fire, I was in a zone only allowing fireproof roof construction. The tiles were OK, but not the asphalt shingle under them.

So some animals with a truck and big shovels came and made a mess tearing the old roofs off. Then the whole roofing job was done by one nice, competent guy. I think I did good, as it's been 24.5 years and the roof appears as sound as when it was installed.

My concern with the change, which I think cost the contractor his profit, was noise. But with the heavy tar paper and the blown in cellulose insulation between rafters, we really don't hear most rain on the roof, only heavy downpours, and they are more muffled roar than rain sounds.

No Leaks Moose