Re: [OM] IMG: Song Sparrow Up Close

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Song Sparrow Up Close
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 11:35:35 -0800
On 3/1/2017 9:11 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,

That shot was made at 8 ft., near the minimum focusing distance, but shot though a single pane of window glass.

I have shot birds at our feeders both through and without window glass. The results convinced me to only shoot through the glass for ID confirmation, not to process and post. As far as I'm concerned, no conclusions about lens IQ can be made with shots through glass.

That's not to say that it's always "bad". I suspect that part of the slightly retro/painterly look of this series that I have been enjoying may be attributable to shooting through the window.

My rant about the enlargement stemmed from the insistence of one of my LUG
viewers, and I have since reduced it.

The problem with live birds is that I never know exactly where they will be, and for how long, so I have to pre-select everything, with little opportunity to make adjustments.

Actually, I'm a bit in awe of the number of well focused shots you manage with
an MF lens.

I also think I stopped down too far, seeking DoF, and that drove the ISO up too
high.

Tough call. It's a difficult balance. What you really need is more light. :-)

Fiat Lux Moose