Re: [OM] OT: Linux Stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Linux Stuff
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:46:38 +1030
It's likely all about permissions/privilege and ownership. the
permission structure in unix type systems is very rigid. general
day-to-day operation  should be done as a user, and system configuration
and installation tasks should only be done by the superuser (usually
'root'). The demarcation is so that users cannot modify system behaviour.

System configuration files, and executables should be owned by and only
be writable by root (usually read and execute permissions are given to
other users for executables), so you don't need to change the file
owner, you need to logged in as root to edit it.

There is a tool that gives you privilege escalation on a
per-command-line basis, 'sudo'.

Can you tell us more about what you need to do, there are a number of
old hands here if I recall correctly?

davidt