Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms

Subject: Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 07:24:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Not really.  General Dynamics designed the F-111A yoke for the swing
mechanism as a single-piece drop forging, but the subcontractor changed it to
two pieces welded together.  The result was that vibration caused the weld to
crack, resulting in the yoke failing while in flight.

>The F111 was a maintenance beast, but I think the swing mechanism
>itself was actually one of the better built parts. I'm not so sure
>about the escape pod design and the side-by-side seating, but it all
>worked, I guess.
>
>Well, maybe not.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson