Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms

Subject: Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:09:48 -0600
Ken,

The answers to your questions would constitute at least a one-semester course when I was in college. I'll try to make it a "short course".

As an aircraft reaches the speed of sound, Mach 1.0, the resulting shock, or compression wave, is nearly vertical, and the wave drag is near its maximum. You've probably seen some of the popular photos of aircraft with the front half encased in a condensation wave. As the speed is increased further, the compression wave sweeps back in accordance with the Mach angle relationship. I can't locate NACA Report 1135 right now, but here is an on-line reference to the relationships:

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/machang.html

A quick example shows that, while the Mach 1.0 shock is vertical, or 90 degrees, by the time a supersonic aircraft reaches Mach 2.2, the shock angle has decreased to 27 degrees, and the wave drag is much less.

Wave drag IS sensitive to body shape, as you would imagine. NACA did a lot of work in the 1940s to develop optimized shapes. Their famous "Coke bottle" fuselage shape was an effort to smooth out the volume of the aircraft from front to back, so the fuselage diameter was reduced in the wing attachment area to compensate for the volume of the wing. Here is a reference to Whitcomb's famous area rule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_rule

Jet engine inlets are also sensitive to Mach angle, and must be designed with a chosen Mach number in mind, or must include variable geometry to control the shock position. The inlets of the F-111 and the XB-1 are good examples of this.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA