Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms

Subject: Re: [OM] Jim's Sonic Booms
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 07:19:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     We learned in Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) that the shock wave
increases drag in the trans-sonic region, about 0.95 to 1.05 times the speed of
sound, where the shock wave first appears ahead of the leading edge and
gradually moves to behind the trailing edge.  You're not exactly supersonic
until the shock wave is behind the trailing edge.

>Jim, Does the creation of a sonic boom contribute to an increase in
>drag? Or is it a reduction? Or does it drag neutral?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson