Re: [OM] Happy with my cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy with my cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 16:34:43 -0800
On 12/21/2016 10:44 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I keep an E-1 within reach every day.  As long as I don't need high ISO and
keep cropping to a reasonable level, it never disappoints. :-)
. . .

There is that old ugly thing about "micro contrast". It it optical or
is it process? Or is it both? I find that the 14-54 (generation 1) is
lacking a little bit in the micro contrast department, but is made up
for it in the sensor. Tonal response is not your typical linear thing
with that CCD sensor and A-D converter engine. What is lost by the
lens is made up by the sensor. To be able to drag out nuances in tones
is something unique--except in the blues. For whatever reason, the
blues lack smooth and delicate gradients in the E-1, but greens and
skintones go on forever.

I still don't get it. I bend some bits and colors, but don't run into such difficulties as you describe. The 60D was maybe less forgiving than I would like, but the 5D and µ4/3 bodies have been excellent.

Every once in a while, I think about getting an E-1 and 14-54 or 12-60, and experience the magic. But I'm afraid my primitive senses won't be able to appreciate the difference.

Neo Unsophisticate Moose