Re: [OM] Panasonic GM5 -- Suitable for Left-Eyed Users?

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic GM5 -- Suitable for Left-Eyed Users?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 19:43:43 -0800
On 11/30/2016 6:55 PM, Michael Gordon via olympus wrote:
I think it is just fine for us left- eyed shooters.  I strongly prefer use of
the
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-S-Panasonic-LUMIX-view-finder-DMW-EC2-for-LUMIX-DMC-GM5-From-Japan-eye-cup/111596522326
  Eye cup--(DMW EC2).  Only available from JPN afaik but can overpay a bit and
obtain on yabe.

I've seen and tried this out on Mike's GM5. I didn't think it helped this right eyed shooter, but can see how it could work well for a lefty.

I tricked it out with a perfectly fitting AS plate from Hejnar photo just in
case and have been pleased overall.  The 35-100 built for it on some extension
for macro does work well as moose says.   The kit is really really small but
performs well.  I usually like to do preliminary corrections in dXO to even out
performance and port a tiff to PS.

Although there is automagic linear distortion correction with Panny and Oly µ4/3 lenses when converted with ACR, Viewer 3 and Silkypix, it is less than complete, leaving barrel distortion at the wide end of the 12-32 that's pretty easily visible in subjects with straight lines. In the resolution tests I just did, it's completely invisible, as they are mostly of foliage, near and far.

On a strongly linear subject, you can see it here. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/LensCorrect.htm> That approach isn't limited to this lens, or to Panny, as you can see from the 12-50 example. There IS a cheaper solution than DxO for this limited purpose, PTLens, which, for this particular lens and FL, does a better job than DxO.

There is, however, a larger (or should I say wider) issue with all this correction, and that is the loss of AoV that the lens captures and most corrections throw away.

I opined at some length about this 9/1/16, elucidating this illustration. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/Dist_Corr.htm> Jim said it sure seemed complicated, which is true. Frank said he liked it. MikeG went nuts, giving me the coveted 5 lens cap rating "Wow, I give Moose a 5 out of 5 lens cap rating for this post. That is the all time most interesting analysis of the geometric correction options have ever seen."

Truth is, though, that for most subjects the auto correction is just fine. AFAIK, it's only an issue with these two lenses at the wide end of the 12-32.

Stretch Moose

Left- eyed GM-5 user, Mike

Sent from my iPhone