[OM] Thoughts on Computers

Subject: [OM] Thoughts on Computers
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 13:42:26 -0600
It's getting about time for me to consider a new computer. My laptops
are essentially end-of-life and I've been using an all-in-one for my
primary machine for several years and it's just not keeping up with
the latest photography editing needs. I also have a custom
built-computer that is configured with Adobe Premier Pro on it that
could also stand to have some additional oomph.

So, several options are presenting themselves:

1. New Laptop powerhouse with a big screen plugged in for the desktop.
Advantages are that it can go with my anywhere and has a built-in
touch screen. Disadvantages are the lower average lifespan, higher
costs and typically, slightly lower performance.

2. New Desktop. Advantages are lower cost, higher performance and
longer lifespan. Disadvantages would include the lack of touch screen
and no portability.

3. New custom built computer reusing a few of the components of the
previous one. The case and power-supply are high-quality, the video
card is high-end, there is a firewire card, and numerous other
features. I would swap out the motherboard, processor, hard-drives
(and also install an SSD) and monitors. But it's about a half-dozen
years old. It has had remarkably little use as it's primary function
was for editing a weekly broadcast. If I don't rebuild this, I'll just
repurpose it as a server. But it was built for video editing and
sizzles along pretty good.

With the right laptop, I could go from three computers to one for
everything I do. With an intense photography trip planned for next
August, there is a part of me that is leaning this direction. It would
be nice to have a robust laptop again. My budget for computer, monitor
and mass-storage device is around $1500 USD. I can go more than that
in a pinch, but would like to have a reasonable cutoff point in there.
No, Apple is NOT an option.

I still keep an old gateway laptop around as it has XP on it and can
be used for upgrading E-1 firmware. HINT HINT HINT.

Thoughts?

AG Schnozz