Re: [OM] PSTCRD: Lamego - Douro Valley

Subject: Re: [OM] PSTCRD: Lamego - Douro Valley
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 20:39:44 -0400
John:
Lamago hosts a number of cathedrals, churches and monasteries. It is also one of the better places to stay (variety of hotels) in the Douro region. We did a quick morning tour, but did not climb the stairs shown in Philippe's photograph.

We spent two weeks in Portugal in late September 2015, and can certainly recommend a number of interesting places to visit away from the Algarve. Aside from Lisbon/Sintra and Cas Cais, which was an organized tour, we rented a car and visited Obidos, Fatima, Coimbra, Aviero, Porto, Braga, Guimaraes, Estremoz, Evora and Monsaraz, before spending several days in Lagos in the Algarve. By the time we got to Lagos, we were satiated with castles, cathedrals/churches and monasteries.

Portugal is not a big country and the main roads had little traffic when we were there (if you don't mind paying the numerous tolls). It's the visits that take the time. Most of the places of interest are eminently walkable.

Martin