Re: [OM] Aurora Borealis over Lake Superior

Subject: Re: [OM] Aurora Borealis over Lake Superior
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 18:40:26 -0500
> AG really knows how to coax the max out of the Zuikos.

Thank you. It all comes down to maximizing the strengths, minimizing
the weaknesses.

>  Some of the astro mavens on FM alt lens list have commented and illustrated
> with posted images  the tremendous coma on the Z. 24/2.8 at wider apertures,
> but not so bad at F5.6--AG seems to have tamed it more with his profiles
> somehow.

No profiles hurt by this one yet. I have a ton of work to do before
final prints are made. This one will take a while to do. I've made a
couple of test prints and don't like what I've gotten yet. OM Zuikos
are of the era where the sweet spot for them is 2-3 down from maximum
aperture. When you shoot at those apertures, everything seems to fall
in line and the images are most "ideal" to the OM aesthetic. Some
lenses do better at some focal lengths wide-open, but only in select
applications. For astro work, the OM Zuikos are really not in their
"prime".

Another factor, is that the sensor itself in the 6D really isn't all
that good. Sorry, just speaking truth as I see it. It's main strengths
for me is the full-frame format and video. I trust the 5D Mk XXIV
sensor does better, but the 6D's sensor really vignettes something
fierce and the filter stack is just odd. I can't push the processing
on the images anywhere near what I can with the E-1 and DMC-L1. After
working with about 2000 pictures from this trip, I've had to
occasionally go back to pictures from 2006 of the exact same location
to purify my eyes. Chroma noise is brutal. Where the E-3 trashes the
shadows, the 6D trashes the highlights and the shadows. I'm
mind-boggled by it.

AG Schnozz