Re: [OM] Aurora Borealis over Lake Superior

Subject: Re: [OM] Aurora Borealis over Lake Superior
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:38:39 -0700
On 10/8/2016 9:04 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
http://zone-10.com/d1/node/239

Aurora Borealis over Lake Superior.

Ah, glad you are sharing it more widely. I felt special to get the file, but frustrated viewing it on my little netbook+ and my ability to respond promptly and very much to the list is on again - off again as we travel.

It does look excellent, as far as I can see on this screen, and I look forward
to seeing it at home in three weeks.

Coincidentally, I received a few days ago from Ctein an Aurora Borealis shot taken in Yellowknife. Very different looking. I wouldn't choose one over the other. The higher latitude one does have greater apparent height.

Your approaches to exposure were quite different:

UP - Canon 6D, Olympus OM Zuiko 24/2.8. ISO 6400, 20 seconds, F5.6

Yellowknife - Olympus OMD E-M5mII, 4 sec, f/1.4, ISO 800 with the Leica 12mm
f/1.4 ASPH

Roughly the same effective FL, but quite different in exposure choices. I imagine he had a brighter subject, and, of course, a faster lens that he had tested to perform well wide open, so could use both lower ISO and shorter exposure.

Spectral Moose