Re: [OM] One year after a fire

Subject: Re: [OM] One year after a fire
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 12:08:33 +1030
On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 01:05:47PM -0700, Mike Lazzari wrote:

> It is the minimum here for R21. A few houses go thicker to accommodate
> higher R value or add rigid insulation or sprayed-in. And that looks
> like engineered wood? Is it sized to metric? Also notice more use of
> framing members than we do. The reason being that wood has a lower R
> value so transmits more heat. Less is more efficient both in material
> and future heating cost. Are you going to use vertical siding?

Down under in Australia (and likely NZ is very similar as we share many
standards) most timber (US:lumber?) framing is done with Radiata Pine as
it's cheap and locally sourced from managed forestry. It looks like most
of the frames are pine,  not sure what the lintel beams are, though?
Typical stud spacing is 600mm or 450mm.

Generally this timber is suppled in accurately dimensioned DAR/PAR
(Dressed/Planed All-Round) metric sizes that correspond roughly* to inch
sizes, and graded mechanically for stress (MGP10, 12, 15).  the
enginnering standards direct which grading is required for spans and
load-bearing supports. Engineered laminated beams can be used in very.
long spans though.

*e.g.:
90x45 ~ 4x2   (sometimes called a "forby"  :) )
70x35 ~ 3x1.5

For roofing, because the joinery can be complex, time-consuming, and
wasteful, it's quite common to just order the roof trusses, and they
turn up on a truck, ready for installation.

As an aside, one challenge from a handyperson perspective is buying
propery cured timber. Walking into the bigbox hardware shops and trying
to find dimensioned  pine that isn't wildly cupped/twisted/warped is
difficult. :)

davidt