Re: [OM] OT: Dubai 777 Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dubai 777 Crash
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:47:15 +0200
I would have expected nothing less, Bob :-)

Here is the opinion (conjecture) of someone whom I have known since 1975; we
joined the RAF together. He was chopped during training and has therefore
earned a whole lot more than I for the last 35 years:

> With predicted W/Shear I would have added a bit more than 5 kts to Vref, +5
> is the min in calm conditions, they just used the actual reported wind. They
> landed long due to the tail wild, a G/A was a good plan but a bit of thrust
> helps. Flap 20 was correct but they didn’t check for a +ve climb before
> selecting the gear up. So there you have it, all correct apart from pressing
> the TOGA button and making sure you have a bit of oomph. I see it all the
> time with these new wankers, they didn’t do anything smart like shoving the
> thrust levers through the bulkhead.
>
> They should have pressed the TOGA button. Interestingly the TOGA button on
> the Embraer 145 is the Auto Throttle disconnect button on the Embraer 190,
> this gives me endless amusement on conversion courses.
>
> Someone may have read a book. When you set the thing for T/O, take off power
> is what is “armed” and what you get when you press the TOGA button. When you
> make an approach, by selecting gear down or some flap the “armed” thrust
> setting automatically goes to G/A, so if you then press the TOGA button you
> get G/A thrust. This would remain until you taxied in and shutdown the
> engines. So no you can’t actually select T/O power once you have hit the
> ground because it is not “armed”, but you most certainly can select G/A
> thrust which would be a fair bit more and what they should have done.

Since it is conjecture, fair or no, I'll leave it to those who read it to judge
it for feasibility.

Chris

C M I Barker | Gamlingay