Re: [OM] OT: Dubai 777 Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dubai 777 Crash
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 08:06:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     The engines certainly hadn't spooled up sufficiently to allow for a climb
and gear retraction.  This will undoubtedly boil down to pilot error.

     This points out a distinct advantage to turboprops such as the C-130.  The
engines/props are always turning at 100% RPM.  The prop pitch is adjusted
automatically as fuel flow is adjusted.  Since the angular momentum is
constant, throttle response is almost instantaneous.  But you still need to
observe a positive rate of climb before gear retraction.  We would challenge
each other to verify that.

>Another rule of thumb would be to select go around power, which does not
>seem to have happened.
>
>Chris
>
>> On 19 Sep 16, at 14:24, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>     Sounds a bit like insufficient thrust for the pitch angle and the
>>aircraft settled back to the ground at the start of a stall, with the
>>tail impacting first.
>>
>>     Rule of thumb in a go-around is to have a positive rate of climb
>>before retracting the landing gear.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson