Re: [OM] A Hitchcock Morning

Subject: Re: [OM] A Hitchcock Morning
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 16:56:21 +0200
Could be a flock of common starling?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_starling
Here in this period of the year are common in very large numbers.

Ralf

<<
Not sure what they are. Sparrows? Who knows. I'm not a bird guy. But
this morning as I let the dog out for her morning constitutional, a
flock of birds lit off from the trees a block away and thereabouts and
flew past our house. While I'm not the best at estimating crowd
numbers, what I did was counted in a segment and started multiplying
to get a larger segment then estimated the number of those segments.

Conservatively, there were about 50 thousand birds that flew past the
house. It took about five minutes for the main flock to pass by and
the stragglers were still still going past five minutes later. Another
estimate based on time-density-frequency puts the flock at closer to
60 thousand birds. I estimate 200 birds per second, times five
minutes. The density and speed was consistent throughout the main
ascension.

So, whatever they were, they had our dog's attention as they flew
past. I think she was smart enough to figure that barking at one or
two birds was safe, but that crowd warranted keeping her mouth shut in
case they all decided to attack.

AG