Re: [OM] A Hitchcock Morning

Subject: Re: [OM] A Hitchcock Morning
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 10:37:34 -0500
>   Really only two species of Passerine birds in North America that will
> flock like that: Starlings and Red-Wined Blackbirds. Grackles will do that
> but I've never seen anywhere like the numbers you describe.

Starlings. Neighbor confirmed it and came up with a similar estimate.

I've seen massive flocks of them in past years but was never able to
get a visual estimate on quantity. When we lived in Newton, the
migration would concentrate in our neighborhood, which was at an
intersection of Interstate-80 and Highway 14. The trees were so
weighted down and it was loud enough to mask the noise of the
interstate. And then the crows would come through. Whoever thought
that crows don't migrate is fooling themselves. But the mass ascension
in that neighborhood took place in an all-at-once cloud that it was
impossible to guess how many there were. But a couple thousand per
tree would be a good guess.

Speaking of migrations...

How are the Monarchs doing this year?

AG