Re: [OM] IMG: Two Butterflies

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Two Butterflies
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:50:02 -0500
Jim N. posted:

I reworked the ETS image, as you suggested.  I also cropped it a little
tighter.  I replaced the earlier image, at the same link. Thanks for the
help.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Eastern+Tiger+Swallowtail.TIFF.html

     This shot illustrates the major effect that oblique light has on
getting the best from a butterfly photo.  Look at the right forewing on
this Eastern Tiger Swallowtail--it's "alive," it's obviously not a simple
flat structure.  Contrast the right forewing with the left one.  The left
forewing is "dead," it's simply a study in black and yellow.  Moose noted
this with Jim's shot of the American Lady:  "The side light...[has] done a
wonderful job of capturing the texture of the wing surface." Here it looks
like the light is coming from 1 o'clock.  The texture of the wing would
have been shown even more had the light been coming from 11 o'clock.
Sometimes
one simply has to take what Nature offers.  But I like to use a flash when
shooting butterflies, and I try, if there's time,  to get the light from
the flash skimming the butterfly's wings at a low angle, and at 90 degrees
from the direction of the wing veins.  An axial flash doesn't do anything
for butterflies.  And sunlight is a crapshoot.  And butterflies don't
always hold a pose.  So keep shooting, and posting, Jim!
Dean