Re: [OM] Dances with Snakes

Subject: Re: [OM] Dances with Snakes
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 08:21:10 -0500
On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 12:04 AM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/2/2016 7:54 AM, DZDub wrote:
>
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20332
>>
>> I faced down this little garter snake in my back yard while working with
>> the E-620 and DZ 50/2.
>>

> Nice series!
>
> I got in front of him and as he turned to get away,
>> I continued to move in front of him.  It must have been quite a sight, but
>> it got him winded and he had to stop and breathe, much sooner in the
>> process than you might think.
>>

> Aha, another useful technique to remember. Snakes are troublesome to
> photograph for me (and probably hard to shoot, too), the way they wave
> about.

Probably only useful with a fairly small snake on a carpet of lush grass.
On a trail, among rocks -- fogettaboudit.

> Fearsome beastie, he raised up and did that
>> cobra thing once -- maw open and everything -- but I couldn't get him to
>> do
>> it for the camera!
>>

> Years ago, I was walking for reasons of getting out, away from a bunch of
> stuff that was making me feel hemmed in. Out on a headland, no one around,
> sounds and sights of the sea, wind blowing the grass. Just what I needed. I
> intentionally didn't bring a camera - soooo.
>
> On the trail, I encountered a snake I'd not seen before. It was quite
> aggressive, forming a figure eight right in the center of the trail ahead
> of me, tail back, head forward, which looked like a great way to be able to
> strike at almost full body length. It did not, however, have the head shape
> of all poisonous snakes hereabouts, so I wasn't in danger.
>
> It had a darkish, blah colored body, with faint stripes - and a bright red
> head. Later research showed I had missed an opportunity to "shoot" the
> endangered San Fransisco Garter Snake. Most on line pix show a much more
> colorful body. Perhaps mine was one of the darker type, and dusty.

The garter snake is the most common snake in my experience.  They scare the
bejeebies out of my wife, who is from Hawaii, but I pick them up and look
them over and discuss the ironies of evolution with them, etc.  We also
have brown snakes, but I don't see them very often.  I came across some
juveniles once and they were hilarious, practicing their ferocity without
limit, raising themselves up and striking like a cobra with their fangless
maws.  It really wears them out though.  A cold-blooded varmint has little
stamina.

We have timber rattlesnakes but I have not seen one in Iowa, so they are
tantamount to mythic creatures as far as I'm concerned.  I saw one in
Kentucky once.  Fear of snakes is possibly a vestige of our very early
hominid experience when we were much smaller and they perhaps much bigger.

Joel W.