Re: [OM] IMG: How can you get a dirty sensor with a camera that does not

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: How can you get a dirty sensor with a camera that does not have interchangeable lenses?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 08:21:22 -0400
On the contrary, I would expect the camera to be sealed precisely because the sensor cannot be cleaned without at least partially disassembling the camera.

The spot looks exactly like many such spots I've seen on my Canon 5D. So I also assume it's dust on the sensor. Proof that it's dust on the sensor would be to take successive photos of clear blue sky from wide open to fully closed down. At the LX-100's maximum aperture of f/1.7-2.8 the dust bunny may be invisible or nearly so as a very light gray cloud. As the aperture closes down its shape will be more distinct (as in the image below) and it will get much darker.

I consider it a manufacturing defect. Either the inside wasn't perfectly dust free when it was made or dust/debris has been generated by friction of mechanical motion such as by the shutter mechanism.

In any case I would expect a warranty repair... even it it's beyond the normal warranty period. Adverse publicity to the hundreds or thousands of avid photographers on multiple lists is probably not a good thing for Panasonic.

Finally, the do it yourself guide:
<https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Panasonic+LUMIX+DMC-LX100/55603>

Chuck Norcutt