Re: [OM] DxO Optics Pro 11

Subject: Re: [OM] DxO Optics Pro 11
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:22:54 -0700
I received a response on the DXO forum where the developers prowl but not from
a DXO rep--they seem overextended these days compared to a year or two ago but
always have  responded to direct e-mails.

"@usher99: I'm a bit of a Moose fan, and I still have his branded warming
polariser; which was a brilliant idea in the days of film, but I must say I'm
surprised by his results. Also surprised by the clipped highlights. I hope he
actually used Prime rather than the default HQ (Fast). Why DxO defaults to HQ (Fast)
I don't know... I know several people who dismissed DxO noise reduction because they
didn't realise Prime was turned off by default; and had been using HQ (Fast) by
accident instead!

I just had occasion to process a G11 Raw file, a shot of a B&W print. FM left more color noise than I would like, no matter how I set it.

I could, of course simply convert to B&W, although that would eliminate any paper color and toning. But I'm a curios sort, so I tried DxO OP. The un-adjusted Raw conversion had less, or at least less saturated, color noise. Then Prime knocked it out. Distinctly superior to ACR/NI for color noise in this case.

I'd be curious to play with that RAW file and see what results I could get
though? I generally find NeatImage (my copy of 6.1 at least) is inferior to DxO
Prime.

He's welcome to a copy - if he upgrades his NI. Current version is 7.6

  . . . I would doubt if the one file were an aberration and not sure if it is
worth Moose time to provide a link to the raw file but thought I should post
the reply at least.

We have the superior Moose on this list, Mike

Blushing Moose