Re: [OM] Lee Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Lee Filters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 13:00:43 -0700
On 5/24/2016 10:56 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
. . . So I stayed with Cokin. Wish me luck on correcting the colour cast!

I'm somewhat mystified by the use of color correction filters these days.

The filters themselves are imperfect in the first place. The tech just doesn't exist to make them that well at anything but stratospheric prices, if at all.

Then the named light sources are never exactly what the filters are designed for. Measure the color temp of a bunch of 'tungsten' lights and you'll find they are all over the place. Fluorescents and LEDs, too.

For casual use, a neutral reference in one shot in the particular lighting at hand will generally do a better job in post than a filter. I carry a credit card sized one in my wallet. For more serious accuracy, shoot an IT8 target or one of the other commercial references and correct automagically from that in post.

In seriously mixed lighting, tungsten indoor light mixed with sun shining through a window on part of a room, I used a mask to correct the two differently.

Through No Glass Moose