Re: [OM] OM; Zuiko manual macro 50/2

Subject: Re: [OM] OM; Zuiko manual macro 50/2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 21:48:02 -0700
On 4/18/2016 4:35 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
For years I have lusted after a Zuiko manual macro 50/2
lens. . . .

First impressions include; for a 50mm lens, it is HEAVY.

More elements and a double focusing helicoid add up. Still, about the same
weight as the 55/1.2.

It's also quite large and the front element has quite a large diameter.

Simple math; for a 50 mm focal length lens the clear front aperture must be at
least:
f2.0 = 25 mm
f1.8 = 27.8
f1.4 = 35.7
f1.2 = 41.7

You are likely reacting to the large front opening, not the relatively modest size front element itself. Like the 50/3.5, the 50/2 has the FE deeply recessed in what amounts to a built-in lens hood.

The depth of field marks on the barrel
indicate that regardless of the aperture chosen, the depth of field will
be small.

DoF gets shallower as you magnify more. It should be the same at 1:40 as the other 50s. The markings are probably for a closer focus.

So, I have taken some photos with it; and some with its
digital equivalent. I photographed flowers.
Oly's µ4/3 equivalent is the 60/2.8 Macro, which is quite good.

  . . .
All photos were taken hand-held with me lying prostrate on the ground with 3
substantial cushions under my chest.

Please go to
http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19878 and scroll right to
the end, to view them all.