Re: I Learned a Lot

Subject: Re: I Learned a Lot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 20:55:41 -0700
On 3/25/2016 1:53 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,

I printed out your suggestions, and explored the Cross Pen image again, using the tools in PWP. Needless to say, I have never read many of the 583 pages of the PWP Manual. Once I got a better idea of how the curves worked, I figured out how to use them and the histograms in both the Brightness and Color Transformations. I worked with those, and then tried your settings (as close as I could) in the Sharpen Transformation.

I now have a basic knowledge of how these things work.  You made my day.

Hooray!

I am attaching an image that resulted.

Ah, you really are gaining more control.

I will next look into the secret of getting a pure white background, but that is rough because of the lighting mix that I had.

Shouldn't be too tough. The same light is on the pen, so an overall color balance adjustment should do the job and make the pen color truer, too. In the color section of the manual, pp125ff, I see several tools to try. When I tried the PS tool similar to their "Color Probe" (sounds painful), I got purple shadow. But theirs works differently, what with choosing at what brightness it is strongest, as I read the instructions. (The trio of "probes" in PS that gave me a nice clean white background and nice, neutral shadows when I tried them just now aren't in PWP.)

Moose