Re: [OM] IMG: Slow Night

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Slow Night
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 11:22:33 -0500
You live in a different world from me.

http://kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/poverty-among-seniors-an-updated-analysis-of-national-and-state-level-poverty-rates-under-the-official-and-supplemental-poverty-measures/

This analysis presents national and state-level poverty rates among people
ages 65 and older, based on two measures from the U.S. Census Bureau, using
data from the 2014 Current Population Survey (CPS) and pooled 2012-2014 CPS
for state-level data: the official poverty measure and the Supplemental
Poverty Measure (SPM). The SPM differs from the official poverty measure in
a number of ways to reflect available financial resources, including
liabilities (such as taxes), the value of in-kind benefits (such as food
stamps), out-of-pocket medical spending (which is generally higher among
older adults), geographic variations in housing expenses, and other
factors. According to the Census Bureau, about one in seven people ages 65
and older (15%) have incomes below the SPM poverty thresholds, compared to
one in ten (10%) under the official measure.
Key findings from this analysis:

   - Close to half (45%) of adults ages 65 and older had incomes below
   twice the poverty thresholds under the SPM in 2013, compared to 33% of
   older adults under the official measure.
   - The poverty rate was higher among women ages 65 and older than men in
   this age group in 2013 under both the official measure (12% versus 7%) and
   the SPM (17% versus 12%). Among people ages 80 and older, 23 percent of
   women lived below the SPM poverty thresholds in 2013, compared to 14
   percent of men.
   - The official poverty rate in 2013 was nearly three times larger among
   Hispanic adults than among white adults ages 65 and older (20% versus 7%)
   and two and a half times larger among black adults ages 65 and older (18%).
   Rates of poverty for all three groups were higher under the SPM, with 28
   percent of Hispanic adults, 22 percent of black adults, and 12 percent of
   white adults ages 65 and older living below the SPM poverty thresholds in
   2013.
   - The share of seniors living in poverty is larger in every state under
   the SPM than under the official measure, and at least twice as large in 9
   states: California (21% versus 10%), Connecticut (14% versus 7%), Hawaii
   (17% versus 8%), Indiana (13% versus 6%), Massachusetts (16% versus 8%),
   Maryland (16% versus 8%), Nevada (18% versus 9%), New Hampshire (14% versus
   6%), and New Jersey (15% versus 7%).

Tina

   -

Tina Manley
http://
<http://t.sidekickopen36.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XYgfmKYPW4WzBHl3Mx_9dW3LqWkM56dQ1Jf7P8b5b02?t=http%3A%2F%2Ftina-manley.artistwebsites.com%2F&si=6038418186567680&pi=305b7321-cd57-4a48-8f04-e1d76636f008>
www.tinamanley.com
http://socialdocumentary.net/photographer/tinamanley
http://tina-manley.artistwebsites.com/