Re: [OM] PESO

Subject: Re: [OM] PESO
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:09:03 -0800
On 2/19/2016 1:00 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I didn't know that the evergreen oaks of northern California were also called "live oaks". I looked it up to discover that there are numerous species of live oaks around the country and also around the world with evergreen foliage.

I use the generic popular name "live oak" for a reason. There are many varieties in Calif., and they are an important part of my life and sense of place. I thought I could identify a few, but was unsure. So I bought a lovely book, "Oaks of California". There I discovered that the lines between species and/or varieties is very unclear. The book says that it's not uncommon to find a single tree with the morphology attributed to one type on one side and that of another on the other!

So now I occasionally leaf through the book looking at the pretty pictures -
and just call them all live oaks. :-)

Of course, a "proper" live oak also needs an immense amount of Spanish moss
hanging from its branches.  :-)

Depends on where it lives. They live in quite a wide variety of habitats. These grow to only 8-10 feet in the poor sandy soil of the Elfin Forest of the Los Oso Peninsula, creating little bowers like this one. It is not big enough to crawl inside without causing all sorts of damage, but head and hand with camera can peer in. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MorroBay/ElfinForest/slides/_MG_1141ptl.html>

One of the relatively few places these days where a true SWA lens is needed, and makes the space appear larger than it is. And yes, in this damp area, Spanish Moss, as you can see. Out in the Central Valley, where it gets very hot in the summer, the much taller Vally Oaks seldom have Spanish Moss.