Re: [OM] OT; can this photo be fixed? YES!

Subject: Re: [OM] OT; can this photo be fixed? YES!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:06:52 -0500
I agree it can be fixed but don't think I'm up to a fully proper adjustment. The effect of the shadow seems to vary across the affected area and there also seems to be a secondary shadow extending a bit beyond the main shadow. It's also not clear if the lighter sky just to the right of the shadow is what the painter intended or whether it might be some glare from the room light.

Just lightening the shadow also seems to affect the color and, as you can see in Philippe's modification, there is a gradient near the edge of the shadow. Also Phillipe corrected the mild barrel distortion in the photo or maybe just cropped it off.

I think it will take the Moose to make a proper fix. Meanwhile you may want to carefully examine the image and note whether there are any "errors" in the photo other than the shadow and barrel distortion. ie; does the non-shadowed portion of the sky look correct? Is the bright swath above the 3 mountain peaks at left part of the original painting or is it possibly from room light? Anything else?

Printing on canvas may help restore at least a little of the original texture.

Chuck Norcutt