Marin-Sonoma County Panorama [was OT: Weather Extremes]

Subject: Marin-Sonoma County Panorama [was OT: Weather Extremes]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:02:28 -0800
On 2/12/2016 11:25 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Yes, they are pretty, Moose,

Thanks!

as is the countryside that I can see in those photos.

There's a lot of wonderful, amazing, and so on, countryside in the world. Some more spectacular. "West Marin" is a place that always pleases me. I say "West Marin" because the area also includes much of SW Sonoma Co.

This is one of my favorite views in the world that I've seen.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19565>

The double peaked mountain far away on the left is 4,300' Mount St. Helena, 38 miles away, at the head of the Napa Valley. There's actually a lot of urban area we're looking across, but the intervening ridges hide it all. :-)

The couple of linked valleys close in are split by the county line. One of my dreams is to have a getaway cottage just up behind where I stood to take the images. Even a pad with a mobile home would do. ;-) If we continue to get rain, as we are today, the hills will get even greener, then turn "golden" in the summer.

The visible ground is mostly pastureland, heavily dairy, with some male offspring of the dairy herds being grass fed for market. Some sheep, and the occasional goats, hogs and llamas. There's a small herd of Scottish Highland cattle, and another of some sort of cattle with really enormous horns. Not Texas Longhorns, the shape is wrong and these are at least thicker. The area immediately behind me is more rugged, more ridges, narrower valleys.

Other spectacular views of the coast and Point Reyes NS are close to the West.

Dreamin' Moose