Re: [OM] Three Critters amongst the Flora

Subject: Re: [OM] Three Critters amongst the Flora
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 15:07:44 -0600
Moose, I have received some enlightenment, as well. Not scientific, just from experimentation. My only long lens is a Leica Telyt-R 250/4 from 1980, along with an extender from 1982, well before the current Leica offerings. I have tried to get some good images at wide lens openings, as recommended by some excellent photographers, but I have been underwhelmed with the results. Since I'm using a tripod, shutter speed is not an important issue, and my Fuji X-E1 offers variable ISO, as well.

With all of this to explore, I began to close down the lens, and examine the resulting images. What I found surprised me. The best images were made with the lens stopped down to f/22. Whether it is the increased DoF that makes them look better, or simply a sweet spot, as you implied in your case, I can't say. I continue to try for more images as the opportunities permit. Just sayin', it works.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA