Re: [OM] Three Critters amongst the Flora

Subject: Re: [OM] Three Critters amongst the Flora
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 20:00:16 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
(Yes, Chuck and Mike, I know f11 should lose sharpness to diffraction, and I
know deconvolution sharpening shouldn't bring it back. And yet experience flies
in the face of theory, and that's the sweet spot for this sensor/lens
combination. ;-) )
Erroneous Moose

I think you remember my original post on this but may have been away for the
f/u.

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2013-02/msg01884.html

Dr. Diffraction may be rather upset as the  ugly diffraction demon may have
reduced the resolution to a sub 5 megapickle image at least in the red channel.
 There is a  rather abrupt   high freq cut-off in the special frequency image
data that
on arm chair  reflection  should  NOT respond well to R-L deconvolution.

My second post was here:

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2013-05/msg02068.html

Be absolutely sure to check out Roger's MTF data on diffraction softening.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/03/overcoming-my-fentekaphobia

The Diffraction Demon's fangs are neither as long nor sharp as anticipated and
stopping down a bit beyond the diffraction limit to gain dof is often very
advisable to obtain a good image.  This is c/w
my experience in aperture bracketing and Moose's as well.  Later in that post I
mention why R-L deconvolutoion still improves the image empirically despite the
lack of ability to gain any higher freq spatial information.The contrast in the
data that is there is improved, to  cut to the chase.

Very nice bee shot, BTW.

 Go Ahead and Slay the Diffraction Demon with R-L Vorpal Sword,  Mike