Re: [OM] IMG: Shoeshine

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Shoeshine
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:39:24 -0800
I'm guessing that other side of this conversation is on the LUG list? I was thinking myself of commenting on the high tone character of the Caballero that seems to me to lose important tonal detail.

In addition to the grain, or whatever all those white speckles are, the scan seems to me too contrasty, with the midpoint too high, shadow detail lost. Whack the speckles and adjust the tones and I get this, which I find tonally much more appealing. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Shoeshine.htm>

It may seem at first that detail has been lost, but look at the newspaper. As is often the case, spurious grain/noise may give the sense of sharpness/detail when it's not really there. The tonal adjustments could, of course be done while leaving more grain, if desired. But I did it to my taste. ;-)

No Speckles On Moose