Re: [OM] Retro Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Retro Weddings
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 19:47:42 -0400
Ken ........ who gets to keep the film?

jh

On 1/9/2016 6:24 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Yesterday, I met with a wedding client for next month who did the
unthinkable. They are going to pay extra just so I can shoot some of
the wedding and formals with FILM.

Gotta love it. :)

I was running some numbers to see how much to charge and the
trade-offs. In reality, it's not very expensive at all for a couple
rolls of film and when you figure that it will probably result in an
additional print sale, it's a good business investment.

Kodak Portra 400 is the film, processed and scanned by a professional
lab. Total costs are about $0.65 per shot. That really is not bad at
all. In fact, it's less than what it was back 15 years ago. If I don't
have the rolls lab scanned, but do it myself, I can reduce the costs,
but would greatly add to my time, so I'll gladly pay somebody else to
do it. But that's almost half the cost right there.

My goal is to shoot four or five weddings this year. Too many, and it
is too consuming on me. But I need to invest in a couple of things
like better lenses or a full-frame digital. While I would love to do
that, the cost factor is pretty high. Instead of doing that, I can
shoot hybrid film+digital to get best of both worlds and even if the
clients won't pay extra for the film, I can easily justify swallowing
the cost of three rolls of film per wedding without breaking a sweat.

And best of all, I get to use the OM-4T with my F2 lenses and 35-80
zoom. What's more exciting than that?

I don't know how it is everywhere else, but film is seeing a huge
resurgence here in Iowa. It's becoming the "in thing".

AG Schnozz