[OM] Mouse mystery solved

Subject: [OM] Mouse mystery solved
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 18:11:00 -0500
Yesterday morning I was trying to clean up the usual clutter of spam messages. I had selected about 4 or 5 for deletion and was CTRL-clicking on another to include it in the group when...

All of a sudden all of the selected messages (none of which I'd ever want to open) opened as a group. I was startled, closed them quickly and then sat back trying to figure out how that had happened. I was baffled. Not much later it happened again... as I was trying to select messages for deletion they all suddenly opened. I pondered this a while longer but was still mystified... had some gremlin infected Thunderbird (my email system)?

A few hours passed with no more strange events. Then I tried to use the Windows calculator and almost immediately began getting strange answers. I looked back and saw that the strange answers were not strange at all. The were simply correct answers to the set of numbers "I" had selected by clicking the mouse. Then I wondered how I had created so many "typos". Then it suddenly occurred to me that all of the "typos" were repetitive entries of the same digit. I might have wanted 24.3 but instead got 24.333 or 43.9 and got 43.99.

After a few little experiments it became apparent that my Logitech 310 mouse had become a left-click stutterer. I swapped mice and receiver with my laptop (all 3 mice in the household are Logitech M310) and all was well again.

I've owned a couple of keyboards over the years that would stutter or stick on a particular key (in fact the one I'm typing on now does it maybe once/week) but I've never encountered the behavior in a mouse. I find it strange that the mouse can do repetitive clicks on its own which is not a behavior that is naturally there as in a keyboard.

Despite the glitch I've been happy with Logitech M310 mice for several years so ordered another one from Amazon Prime today for the princely sum of $16. It will be here before the laptop I stold the mouse from needs to make a trip with me.

Just thought y'all might want to know of a strange glitch you might encounter one day. Try using the calculator. It shows the true problem very quickly.

Chuck Norcutt