[OM] Active Voice instead of Passive

Subject: [OM] Active Voice instead of Passive
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 07:18:40 +0000
Chaps and chapesses

Why do so many people use the Passive Voice when describing how they took their
shot?  Virtually no one writes, “I took this with my field camera and 10mm ƒ64
lens.”  Most people use, “This shot was taken with a half-frame Oly with 600mm
ƒ2 lens and processed in LightRoom with a bit of help from Topaz Clarity.”

Are they being coy or modest?  Does writing that way make them feel as if
someone else took the shot – perhaps only to own up to the shot when they find
that others like it?  Or does it make them feel important to use what they
perceive as a formal way of describing the shot?

Well, the general principle that I have always adopted when writing is to use
the Active Voice.  It has always been accepted that that is the clearest way to
express yourself.  In the case of photography use of the Active Voice will
ensure that all reading the description will know for certain who was
responsible for that image.

Chris