Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Christmas Tree

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Christmas Tree
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:32:59 -0600
Moose,

I would never praise this type of weapon, and did not realize that Stukas were kept in collections anywhere, especially in England. My memory of them starts with the graphic photos in Life Magazine in the 1930s, when I was less than 10 yrs old.

As to the converted Ag airplanes, this process was apparently started by a US Govt. project to destroy fields where narcotic crops were grown. They were armored, and possibly armed, because the fields were defended. The market widened and many of these machines ended up in the Middle East, where, I agree, governments can be repressive.

Your view probably was the reason that the company testing the airworthiness of the machines asked me not to take closeups. They didn't want attention.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA