Re: [OM] IMGS: More Experimental Photos with SL

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: More Experimental Photos with SL
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:57:00 -0500
These are not photos intended for my portfolio or probably even stock.
Many people have asked me about the SL and its use with the native lens and
the M and R lenses.  These photos are labeled experimental and that is
exactly what they are.  Should I say, "No, I'm not going to post any photos
until I master the new camera and lens."  I'm just having fun and I assume
those who are looking at and commenting on the photos understand that.
None of them have gone up on my main website so far.  I will probably
delete the whole gallery on pBase when I finish playing with the camera.

Your information from Sean Reid is outdated.  The latest upgrades of LR and
Camera Raw include the Leica SL profiles.  I don't automatically hit Auto
for color balance.  I hit it and look at what it does.  Then I use the
sliders to adjust the photo to what I remember.  My comment was that the
files seem almost exactly right on straight from the camera.

I am impressed with the "keepers" that I am getting from this camera, just
as I am with most of my Leicas.  Maybe someday I'll take one great image
with it.

Tina

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Lightroom doesn’t yet have a color profile for the SL, so any SL image we
> see on the web right now (that was converted from DNG) will show some
> inaccurate colors. The SL sensor is similar to the one used in the Leica Q,
> a camera with good color rendering, so I think color from the SL should be
> good once it is profiled by LR and other converters." Sean Reid on LL
>
> On 11/27/2015 9:42 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>
>> I'm hitting Auto in LR for the color balance. On most it seems to add a
>>> little yellow and a little magenta to the original file but an almost
>>> unnoticeable shift to me.
>>>

> I can understand why you do this, with an endless sea of images to process
> into an endless stream for stock. I still think it's bad practice. Auto
> Color has to make guesses about subject. It may nail one image and miss
> badly on another. Worse, though, to me, is when it misses slightly, and
> makes an image slightly off, in a way that can be hard to pin down.
>
> Perhaps a profile in ACR/LR will cure most of the ills, and allow skipping
> the Auto Color step. I'm with Bob; if the color looks off, I'll try one or
> more of the standard WB settings. But then I sometimes choose something in
> between.
>
> Another reason I don't much like Auto Color is that it attempts to create
> color as if the subject is in mid-day daylight. There are times and
> subjects for which this is appropriate, and far the best solution for them
> is to shoot a color reference (I use a WhiBal that lives in my wallet),
> rather than any Auto WB/Color, but I generally like WB that includes the
> effect of the light in which the subject was taken.
>
> Although you've taken a gazillion color images, it seems to me that you
> are still, at heart, a monochrome photographer, and tend to see color as a
> distraction to be dealt with as expeditiously as possible. It seems to me,
> looking at so many of your color images, to do at least a slight disservice
> to your subjects and viewers.
>
> Just the perspective/experience of one photographer who is obsessed with
> the qualities of the relative few images he chooses to process and display.
> I'd rather make one great image than 1,000 perfectly OK ones.
>
> One of Many Moose
>
> --
>
> --

Tina Manley
http://
<http://t.sidekickopen29.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XYgfmKYPW4WzBHl3Mx_9dW3LqWkM56dQ1Jf7P8b5b02?t=http%3A%2F%2Ftina-manley.artistwebsites.com%2F&si=6038418186567680&pi=b2ce8e1d-235f-4951-901f-c3a1edee9a06>
www.tinamanley.com
http://tina-manley.artistwebsites.com/