Re: [OM] IMG: Determination

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Determination
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 14:07:50 -0800
On 11/27/2015 9:32 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
My daughter-in-law takes pride in her holiday decorations and meals. Tuesday morning, as she arrived home after purchasing her final Thanksgiving items, she fell and fractured her ankle. But, by Thursday, she was fully in charge and, with the help of her kids, the meal went on as planned, and was enjoyed by all, yours truly included.

Looks like a great time was had by all!

I've been primary cook in all but the first of the various household arrangements I've been in over the decades. But I've never cooked a turkey and some of the other winter holiday staples. I enjoy those holiday dinners best when someone else does the turkey. Maybe 'cause I think turkey is OK, but no thrill? :-)

We've been doing a combined holiday family get together between T-day and Christmas, with cooked turkey purchased from a local high end grocers. That way the kids can go to their other parents' dinners, particularly one where her parents are fanatic about it, and so on. I kinda like the "make your own holiday" idea.

This year, though, our primary co-conspirators aren't available. A niece in-law was hit by a car where she lives, in Milan. She'll be OK, but one leg was badly broken and requires surgery. So my sister in-law is off to Italy weeks early; with two active kids, mom is going to need all the help she can get for a while.

Carol has gone gluten free, so I've not done some of my specialties for quite a while. I finally broke down and made my (justly) famous pasta dish, a sort of super puttanesca with sausage and asparagus, with rotelli pasta made from quinoa. WOW - now that's a holiday dinner!

Tonight, no leftovers; my meatloaf and french green beans sauteed with garlic.
(Then it's leftovers for a few days. :-)    )

No Left Over Turkey Moose

* The Italian medical system puzzles me. They've kept Karen in the hospital for several days, doing nothing but waiting for a surgical opening, then will again for a few days after. The cost for all those unproductive hospital days would be astronomical here. Seems to me either hospital days are cheap there or their health care system is amazingly fiscally wasteful.