Re: [OM] Cannondale was Re: IMGS: Experimental Photos with Leica SL

Subject: Re: [OM] Cannondale was Re: IMGS: Experimental Photos with Leica SL
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 14:28:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I never was fond of the Fujis. They had the tendency to do the
>vibration thing at high speeds. When I was in the racing scene, the
>guys and gals with the Fujis always seemed to run into that problem
>and more than one got serious cases of road-rash as a result. My
>road-race bike will do it too, but I've got to be going over 60 MPH
>before it happens--even on the bumps. My Cannondale, with road slicks
>on it tops out at around 50 MPH, but I've never had a vibration
>problem with it, except when I had the panniers on it and poorly
>balanced.
>
>Every Fuji I've ridden scared me at high speed, but it was comfortable
>at low and mid speed.

     I've had a few of my bikes up to about 30 MPH, and my cadence was pretty
much at the limit.  These older bikes with threaded freewheels are pretty much
limited to 13 teeth minimum.  I have one bike, a Puch Maro Polo commemorative,
that has a 54 tooth chainring.  Weight and frame stiffness become factors at
higher speeds, as does the pavement.

     I've always been oriented towards touring bikes, but even with those the
ease of handling and the amount of exertion figure in to the enjoyment of the
ride.  So, I'm actually considering building up a second Fuji as this one rides
exceptionally well and I have lots of parts for equipping them close to
catalogue specs.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson