Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?

Subject: Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:46:20 -0800
On 11/13/2015 6:16 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Well, with the focus stacking everything is happening automagically. I can assure you that the E-M1 knows nothing about driving focusing rails... ergo, by process of elimination, it must be changing the focus distance.

Agreed. I was only using it as an example of why manual focusing for stacking
wasn't likely to work very well.

Also, focusing rails are only suitable for macro shots where total depth of field would be measured in inches. Landscape is a different kettle of fish.

Focus stacking started with microscope photography, where the "slices" of focus are almost as thin as the slices microtomes make of tissue for microscope slides. And it's effective for macro subjects. But I've never though of using it for landscape.

Even for moderate close-up, only a couple of shots are needed, and often may be taken and combined without all the care and accuracy of serious stacking. These were quickly taken, hand held, while on a hike. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Focus%20Stacking/_1160116-17.htm>

I could see the value for super tele, as I often run into DoF limitations there. But as I so seldom work with a tripod and many subjects are moving with air movement, I'm not likely to do that but rarely.

Grab Shot Moose