Re: [OM] Portrait shot - need lens opinion

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait shot - need lens opinion
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 20:50:48 -0400
If you use the 20/1.7 you will need to be about 3.5 feet from the subject for an upper body shot. At 3.5 feet and f/1.7 the depth of field is from 3.3 to 3.8 feet. You will have to place the focus point well in front of the hand and ring if you want to effect a rapid roll-off. You might want to reconsider the use of such a short focal length since it puts you very close to the subject.

A 50/1.8 would allow you to back off to about 7 feet and have depth of field from 6.8 to 7.2 feet. Shallower depth of field with more working room. Probably more normal perspective as well. Dig out the old OM Zuiko.

Chuck Norcutt