Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) RX100vi pics (Warning! Cute!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:47:38 -0700
On 9/2/2015 10:11 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Friends of mine use GaiaGPS app. More hiking oriented and not free but cheap. Available for all OS' There are several more that have been recommended ... can't remember off the top of my head since I don't have a use. We are considering ways to implement using NFC tags to make it simple for people to download maps and turn on their phones' gps _before_ they head off on our local hiking trails and lose reception and _then_ find out they are lost..
<https://www.gaiagps.com/apps/maps/>

The main thing I hear about tracking using your phone as a gps. Battery life sucks big time.

I keep hearing this. And yet, while the battery in my 5 and now 5s does go down faster than without GPS tracking, it's still good for hours. Whether GPX Master is somehow more efficient than other apps, I don't know.

Sure, when I forget to stop tracking and realize it in the evening, it's run down to 20-30%, but that's operator error. I have a couple of those really inexpensive battery packs in the camera extras bag. I've only really needed one once, although Carol, who doesn't use GPS tracking has needed one 2-3 times. :-)

Battery life just hasn't been a problem for me. For those who spend all their time using the phone for other things, it might throw battery life over the edge, but when I'm taking pics, I'm not using the phone for much else. So often out of cell range, anyway.

Be sure to turn everything unnecessary off. Only use it to check position
occasionally.

A different use than most of mine, where a track is being recorded.

<https://www.gaiagps.com/apps/maps/>

That does look interesting for serious hiking.

Whereas Moose